Thursday, January 31, 2013

Marriage Advice?

I love the things people tell me about marriage.. Everyone's marriage is SO different so it's really hard to know which advice is good and what doesn't work for us.  For example, a piece of advice we have been told several times is "Never go to bed mad." That of course seems like a good idea, however, Anthany and I learned very early in our marriage that that advice does NOT work for us. When it's late and we are both tired, our arguments make no sense but we are both too grumpy to just let it go. We have found it's best for us if we both just shut up, roll over and sleep it off. Then, in the morning we can't even remember what we were arguing about and we aren't mad anymore. On the other hand, one piece of advice that works 100% for us is to "choose your battles wisely." We are so much happier when we both really try not to nitpick every problem and to just move forward. It also makes it so much easier to talk things out when there actually is a problem.
However, the absolute most common thing we are told is "You guys look too young to be married!" We get told that at least once a week and it drives me crazy! But the one thing so many people have told us that has been absolutely true [so far haha] is that "the first year of marriage is the hardest." To me, it always seemed like the first year of marriage would be a breeze. You are still in the honeymoon phase, everything is just new and fun, you are still so crazy about each other, ya know.. and while all of that is true, marriage is a huge adjustment that comes with a whole bunch of compromise. And now that we are coming up on our big one year anniversary, I can't believe the progress we have made. How much better we work together, how well we know the other person's needs, how much calmer we can solve problems, how easily we can forgive, it's so awesome. It's always going to be a work in progress, but I love how far we have come and I can't wait for the years ahead.
 I feel like I have said this one hundred times but I am so excited to be sealed to Anthany for all eternity so soon. I could not be more grateful for the gospel that makes us better in every aspect of our lives, especially our marriage. I'm just feeling blessed today. I love that even when things are hard and it feels like everything is stacking up against us, we can keep our positive outlook and Anthany helps me to just enjoy the journey and have fun together. I'm so excited that tomorrow is officially February and it is going to be such a fantastic month!
-Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I didn't even realize that tomorrow is February!! AHHHH that is SO exciting!! :) haha. I am so excited for February you don't even know! lol. And ok... your whole arguments making no sense when you are tired and just going to bed instead of never going to bed mad, is totally how Austin and I work too!! I mean most of the times it is things that we actually do need to go over like bills and work and such, but the times that arguments make NO sense at all and after a while you don't even know why you are fighting, I usually just act like I'm asleep and then Aust falls asleep and then in the morning we love each other again and don't even talk about the argument the night before. hahah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! February is gonna be great!!! And that argument is seriously so true!! you just can't resolve anything at night and in the morning it's not even a big deal anymore and you can think clearly! haha I'm so glad someone agreed with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going to bed angry is crap, we are the same way.

    ReplyDelete