Saturday, June 20, 2015

Clara's First Week

After Clara was born, we stayed two days in the hospital. Anthany and I had about five hours alone with Clara before we let family come see her. Honestly, I don't remember much of it haha. We spent lots of time holding Clara, gave her a bath, I got a quick shower, and we tried to get Clara to breastfeed. I think that I got a grilled cheese sandwich in there somewhere too. 

Anthany was incredible the whole time we stayed at the hospital. Trying to get Clara to turn was rough on my poor body so I was pretty miserable. I was on some pretty strong pain medicine and I only felt good when I was laying down. So Anthany changed every diaper, burped Clara almost every time she ate, rocked her to sleep, and picked her up when she cried. I basically just fed her and cuddled her whenever I was feeling good enough. Clara had inhaled about 5 milliliters of amniotic fluid so whenever we laid her down, she would cough and start choking. It was terrifying. Our first night with Clara, Anthany stayed up with her and rocked her almost all night because laying her down was too scary. I had nightmares all night about labor. It was almost impossible to sleep too because every little sound Clara made would freak me out haha. Plus, the nurse would come in every couple hours to check our vitals and see if we needed anything. I think I got about three hours of sleep total the first night.


The second night in the hospital, we decided to send Clara to the nursery. I felt like such a horrible mom. But we were both so worn out, and her choking was freaking us out. We wanted the nurses to see what she was doing so they could make sure she was okay. They would bring Clara in for me to feed her and I would cry when I sent her back haha. I loved staying in the hospital. I could order whatever food I wanted whenever I wanted, they had an awesome jetted tub, they brought me ice packs every couple hours, and I had SO many pillows. I was kinda sad to go home. 
Getting Clara dressed the first time was so scary! She was so tiny and fragile. 

Anthany got to stay home with us for a few days before he went back to work. Also, all my family came to stay with us and help out. I was a baby hog. I held Clara pretty much every second. Everyone was so sweet about never asking to take her from me. But they were always super willing to hold her when I needed sleep! 
The first night home with Clara was rough. She grunts in her sleep and kicks her legs like crazy. I always think she is about to wake up.
This is one of my absolute favorite pictures of her. 
She is definitely a daddy's girl. Clara falls asleep for Anthany a lot better than she goes to sleep for me. 
But since I'm the only one that can feed her, she likes me too sometimes haha.


My family cooked for me, cleaned my house, brought me anything I needed, and I got a few amazing foot massages from my mom. They were also so sweet with handling my tender emotions. I cried a lot. Usually for no reason at all haha. My nephew Ian was staying with us too. He loved to pet Clara's head and poke her haha. 

Cute little cousins


I was pretty sad when my family had to leave. My youngest sister, Krista, is staying with us a few more weeks though to visit my dad so I still have a little helper. Staying home with Clara everyday is a lot of work. One day, while I was changing her diaper she peed all over her bassinet. So I moved her to my bed to change her and she spit up all over her clothes and my bed. I finally got her all cleaned up and sat down on the couch with her and of course she started pooping. She definitely keeps me busy. But I absolutely love it. There is nothing sweeter than cuddling with your baby and kissing those soft little cheeks! I feel so lucky to be this girl's mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment